Lentils are highly appreciated not only for their incomparable taste but, also, for their nutritional values. Rich in iron, vitamins, calcium, and magnesium, lentils provide tone and energy, especially when cooked with vegetables! Mixing veggies and legumes give you a balanced intake of amino acids, too.
Moroccan lentils dish is so popular across the country, especially during the winter months. They are cooked basically with onions, tomatoes, and a good mix of spices. In Morocco, we can distinguish different types of lentils soup according to regions and people’s preferences. When some variations, for example, mix lentils with vegetables such as sweet potatoes and carrots, others are based just on herbs and meat.
Traditionally, the lentils soup is served as a main dish with Moroccan bread. However, it can be served as an entrée or a side dish with different meals such as fish and chicken. In this case, You can make the soup without adding meat or bones.
In this article, I will share with you an original Berber lentils recipe as my mom taught me, and as Berbers have prepared it for decades! This variation uses carrots and bones instead of meat to bring extra flavor. It is easy to make and depends on a few simple ingredients that are maybe already present in your kitchen! You need just to follow the method and you will be able to enjoy your own traditional lentils soup; hot, tasty, and comforting!.
How To Make Original Moroccan Lentils With Bones:
- 2 cups Green Lentils or Brown
- Pieces of bones, you can use bone broth or vegetable broth.
- 5 cups Water
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 2 Medium Tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Ground Sweet Paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Ground Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Coriander, chopped
- 5 cups Water
This recipe recommends that you put the lentils in a large bowl of cold water and to leave them overnight. Your lentils should be well chosen! the lens should not be damaged or start to germinate. Choose a whole, intact and smooth lentils whatever their color is.
- Sautee the onion, garlic in a large pot with 2 tablespoons of olive oil for a few minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the salt, turmeric, cumin, paprika, ginger, and coriander. Stir well.
- Add carrot, and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, place the bones, and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then cook covered over medium heat for about one hour until the lentils are tender.
- Check lentils occasionally and add water if you notice that the liquids reduce too much.
- Once the lentils are cooked, adjust your seasoning and serve hot with bread or to pair another dish.
- Garnish with fresh coriander or parsley to add a beautiful touch.
I hope that you enjoy this authentic Moroccan recipe, It is original and super easy to prepare!
This amazing soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week and in the freezer for up to 5 months! So think of doubling the quantity!
Share this article, please!