Rich in iron, vitamins, calcium, and magnesium, lentils provide tone and energy, especially when cooked with nutritious bones!
Moroccan Berber lentils are so popular across the country, especially during the winter months. They are cooked with veggies, bones (some people use pieces of meat instead), and a good mix of spices. The traditional soup can be served as an entrée or a side dish with different meals such as fish.
You can make the dish without adding meat or bones if you a vegetarian version. And one thing is sure, whatever version you choose you will enjoy this traditional dish; hot and comforting!
In this article, I will share with you an original Berber lentils recipe as my mom taught me, and as Berbers prepare this nutritious soup for decades and decades! The ingredients in this recipe are all simple and maybe already present in your kitchen!
How To Make Original Moroccan Berber Lentils With Bones:
- 2 cups Green Lentils or Brown
- Pieces of bones, you can use bone broth or vegetable broth.
- 5 cups Water
- 3 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 2 Medium Tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 tsp Ground Sweet Paprika
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Ground Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Coriander, chopped
- 5 cups Water
This recipe recommends that you put the lentils in a large bowl of cold water and to leave them overnight.
- Sautee the onion, garlic in a large pot with 2 Tbsp of olive oil for a few minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the salt, turmeric, cumin, paprika, ginger, and coriander. Stir well.
- Add carrot, and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add the lentils, place the bones, and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then cook covered over medium heat for about one hour until the lentils are tender.
- Check lentils occasionally and add water if you notice that the liquids reduce too much.
- Once the lentils are cooked, adjust your seasoning and serve hot with bread or to pair a fish dish for example.
- Garnish with fresh coriander or parsley.
I hope that you enjoy this authentic Moroccan recipe, It is a quick and simple recipe!
Share the article, please!