People love egg recipes; they are simple to prepare and provide considerable nutritional value! People, also, like to try something different and to discover new ideas for their favorite foods!
To prepare eggs, there are several traditional methods like frying, boiling, or even grilling. But, have you ever cooked eggs with tomatoes!?
Mixing eggs with tomatoes is a wonderful dish that will please you a lot! To make this recipe, you just need simple ingredients that you already have in your kitchen! It is cheap, healthy, and easy to make!
Moroccan tomato-egg ‘Bid O Maticha’ is a flavourful dish prepared as a quick meal either for lunch or dinner. In Morocco, it is basically served as a full brunch paired with Moroccan mint tea. Traditionally, the dish is vegetarian, but it can be prepared with meatballs especially for lunch.
In this article, I will share with you a wonderful tomato-egg recipe. This simple Moroccan variation is basically prepared, besides tomatoes and eggs, with fresh peas and olives. It is the best egg dish to prepare when you need a perfect spicy meal and you do not have much time to spend in your kitchen!
How To Make Moroccan Tomato-Egg Recipe With Peas:
- 2 Fresh Eggs (1 person)
- 2 Tomatoes, diced (Canned tomatoes can be used instead, but fresh ripe tomatoes give perfect results)
- 1/4 cup (50g) of Fresh Peas (Canned peas can be used if you do not have fresh ones)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Cloves, minced
- Fresh Cilantro (If you do not have cilantro you can use parsley. Your dish will be just as pretty)
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Freshly Black Pepper
- Salt to taste
- A slice of Lemon (Optional)
- A piece of Hot Pepper (if you love pepper’s heat)
We are going to prepare the recipe using a Moroccan tajine pot. However, you can, also, prepare it in a large lidded skillet and still obtain good results.
- First, use a small pot and bring some water to a boil.
- Add the fresh peas and a little bit of salt.
- Cook the peas for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop finely the garlic and the cilantro.
- Remove the peas and keep the boiling water.
- Plunge the tomatoes into the same pot of boiling water for 20 seconds, and take them out. Peel them, remove the seeds, and dice them.
- place your empty tajine or skillet on the stovetop.
- Pour the olive oil and swirl it around.
- On medium heat, add your diced tomatoes, the garlic, and half the amount of fresh cilantro or parsley (you will need the rest when serving to add a pop of color).
- Season with salt and spices, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the peas, and cook nicely for another 5 minutes before reducing to simmer.
- Place the green olives, and use a spoon to make small wells in the tomato sauce before cracking the eggs.
- crack the eggs one at a time, and leave a little space between each egg in the tagine pot.
- Top with a slice of lemon and a piece of hot pepper to provide a beautiful harmony of flavors.
- Springle with the rest of the cilantro and cover.
- Let simmer for about 10 minutes. The eggs will jiggle a little bit when you move the tagine pot. But, If you like your eggs runny, maybe you will need to cook them just for a few minutes. So, adjust the timing depending on how you prefer your eggs, and take into consideration that they will continue to cook from the heat of the tagine pot after you take them off the stove.
- Serve hot with bread. This Moroccan egg dish pairs really well with Moroccan pita bread! If you like, you can sprinkle with cheese before serving (Cheese is not traditionally used).
Once the recipe is done, it should be served immediately. I do not recommend storing it in the fridge since the eggs will continue to cook when reheating. However, you can prepare the tomato sauce with peas for the next day (Let cool completely before you keep it in the fridge).
If you want to prepare your Moroccan tomato-egg with meatballs, just add them when cooking your sauce before cracking the eggs.
Moroccan eggs with tomato sauce and peas is a simple one-pan meal that has a unique flavor! It is one of the greatest egg dishes that you can make without effort to impress your friends or family!
I hope you enjoy this easy recipe when you give it a try!
Share the article, please!