‘Malus Domestica’ is cultivated worldwide, and apples are present wherever we go! People have known the fruit since prehistoric times, and cultures like Greek and Norse had even glorified it! Today, we all know the important benefits of this wonderful fruit. We eat apples in different common ways such as making such or pies. But, do you know that you still have a lot to know about apples?! In this article, I will share with you ten surprising uses for apples you may have never heard of!
10 Awesome Uses For Apples:
1- To Ripen Other Fruits Faster:
You have plums, peaches, bananas, avocado, tomatoes…and you want to speed up their ripening process, just place one apple or two with these fruits in a paper bag. Apple produces a kind of gas called ethylene and hastens the ripening process. So, thanks to this amazing apple hack, within 48 hours your fruits will go for being ready ripe and delicious.
2- To Absorb Extra Salt From Food:
You are preparing your beautiful dish and, at the last minute, you realize that your effort should go to waste because you just put in extra salt. Do not be frustrated! An apple will solve the problem and save your dish:
Place an apple, cut into slices, in your pan for about 15 minutes. The apple slices will remove that extra salt and help you to avoid ruining your great dinner.
3- To Keep Bread or Cake Fresh:
If you want to store your leftover cake or cupcakes for a few days, put half an apple with it inside the cake cloche. After days, you will find that your cake is still soft. The same thing for bread, place the apple in your breadbasket to keep it fresh.
4- To Soften Brown Sugar:
Brown sugar will automatically harden when exposed to humidity, However, you do not have to buy a new one, this apple trick will solve the problem:
- Cut up a slice of apple and place it in a Ziploc bag.
- Put it in the bag of brown sugar.
- After 24 hours, the brown sugar will start to be fresh again and ready to bake with.
5- To Clean Teeth:
You enjoyed a meal, but you can not brush your teeth:
Eat an apple, bite into it, or just take a piece of it and rub your teeth. The apple will clean your mouth and decrease your oral acidity.
6- To Prepare a Healthy and Clever Snack:
You will not throw the peels after peeling apples anymore:
- Sprinkle apple peels with cinnamon and sugar.
- Place them on the baking sheet, and cover them with parchment paper.
- Bake for one hour at 248°F (120°C), and enjoy the crispy golden chips you have never tasted!
7- To Make Flavoured Ice Cubes:
A lot of people just throw overripe apples away, but this is a big mistake. These apples are ideal to make refreshing apple juice ice cubes:
- Slice up two squishy overripe apples (do not remove the core).
- Put them in a pan, and cover with water.
- Cook the mixture on low heat, and let it simmer for about one hour.
- Remove from the heat, and mash well.
- With a spoon, press the mixture so that the liquid passes through a wet tea towel into a glass.
- Put the liquid in the ice cube holder to make perfect apple juice ice cubes.
8- To Make an Easy Craft For Your kid:
This easy craft is painting with apple stamps:
Cut an apple in half, and Prepare some water-based paint of different colors.
Let your kid enjoy making amazing apple stamp art.
9- To Make Barbecued Apples:
Another apple hack is to cook some apples on the barbecue, and serve as a dessert or with chicken, sausages, or pork:
- Cut apples into slices (1/2 inch thick).
- sprinkle them with cinnamon.
- Grill them until they become a little bit Brown (when apple sugar starts to caramelize).
10- To Decorate With Apples:
Apples are perfect for decoration. You can put roses or candles in them:
- Core out the center of an apple and put flowers in it, or do the same to put candles.
- Decorate your dinner table, for example, using various colors of apples.
Bake up the tasty apples in a pie, make delicious applesauce or just enjoy a sweet apple in the morning, but do not forget to keep more apples in your kitchen for these unusual uses!
Please, share this article!